After two courthouses were destroyed by fire, W.A. Ritchie, a well-known Seattle architect, designed the county's third courthouse. It was built with great speed and opened in February 1892. The stately three-story building was made of red brick and the roof was made of metal shingles. Doors and windows were trimmed with Tenino stone. No, it didn't burn down. It was torn down to make room for the county's fourth courthouse.