On March 31, 1806, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark established a camp at what is now Cottonwood Beach near Washougal. They remained there for six days, gathering provisions for their long journey home through the Columbia River Gorge. This was the expedition’s longest stay at any site in Clark County.
Now, almost 200 years later, a multi-jurisdictional effort is underway to celebrate the Lewis and Clark Bicentennial with completion of the Captain William Clark Park at Cottonwood Beach in 2006. The project involves improvement of historic interpretation and outdoor recreation facilities at the park.
Cottonwood Beach lies at the entryway to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. It is ideally located to serve as a major destination point for visitors to the Lower Columbia region during the Lewis and Clark bicentennial and for years to come. In addition to Clark County, funding partners include the Port of Camas-Washougal, the city of Camas, and the city of Washougal.
To read more about this project, visit the Web site at www.ci.vancouver.wa.us/parks-recreation/parks_trails/planning/cottonwood.htm.