In 1829 the officials of the Hudson's Bay Company moved Fort Vancouver to its present reconstructed site. After the area became part of the United States, the company transferred its headquarters to Fort Victoria in 1849. In 1860 the company completely abandoned Fort Vancouver and moved north to Canada.
A fire destroyed Fort Vancouver in 1866, and the Fort Vancouver Historical Society of Clark County was created initially to rebuild the site. Fort Vancouver was made a National Monument on June 19, 1948, and became a National Historic Site on June 30, 1961. The society led the effort which resulted in a law authorizing the National Park Service to restore Fort Vancouver in the 1970s.