The county's new Public Service Center is part of a campus master plan created after the courthouse became so crowded, a judge had to work out of a remodeled closet. After numerous space studies, the county officials decided to use the courthouse strictly for court functions.
After the Treasurer's, Auditor's and Assessor's offices moved out of the courthouse and into the Public Service Center in early 2003, the courthouse was remodeled. The remodel included four new courtrooms and judges chambers, a second elevator and a new jury assembly room.
Remodeling projects also were completed at Franklin Center, 1013 Franklin St., which now houses the Prosecuting Attorney's Office. Other changes were made at the old Community Development building at 1408 Franklin St., which how houses Elections and Auto Licensing.