Clark County Washington
Home Find It! A-Z Index Departments & Programs Jobs Contact Us
Assessors Office > Ownership Change

Ownership Change

The Assessor’s Office makes name and ownership changes to accounts based upon legal documents of record ONLY.

The following documents are acceptable when the ownership change is prompted by these events:


Decree of Dissolution including a description of the real property and distribution agreement

          A copy of Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law, if it is referred to in the 
          Decree of Dissolution     

Death of Spouse

Both spouses listed on the tax rolls: a copy of the death certificate

Only the deceased spouse listed: a copy of the death certificate

AND one of the following:

§         Community Property Agreement; OR

§         Will/probate; OR

§         Deed by which you acquired the property, showing both spouses as Grantees


If property is listed to a trust, a copy of the Trust Agreement


Death of Other Family Member

Death Certificate and Declaration of Distribution (Probate)

If estate is valued at under $100,000, and no probate is required, a copy of the Will showing distribution of property, and a copy of the Small Estate Affidavit


Real Estate Contract Fulfillment

  • Fulfillment Deed OR
  • Warranty Deed (from Seller to Buyer)


  • Trustee’s Deed
  • Civil Court Judgment
  • Sheriff’s Deed


  • Warranty Deed / Fulfillment Deed
  • Seller’s Assignment / Purchaser’s Assignment
  • Quit Claim Deed
  • Civil Court Judgment


The following documents DO NOT convey real property:

  • Satisfaction of Mortgage
  • Deed of Trust
  • Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law
  • Deed of Reconveyance

Where to find these documents

  • Your personal records (start here!)
  • Title Insurance Company
  • Auditor’s Office or Auditor’s database
  • Clerk’s Office


top of page

Clark County Assessor's Office: Peter Van Nortwick, Assessor
Street Address: 1300 Franklin Street, 2nd Floor, Vancouver, WA 98660
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 5000, Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Main phone: (360) 397-2391 | Fax: (360) 397-6046
Telecommunications Relay Service: (800) 833-6388, then call (360) 397-2445
Responsible Elected Official: Peter Van Nortwick
For document requests, please contact the Assessor's Office Public Records Officer by phone
(360) 397-2092 ext. 4846 or by email

Clark County Home | Find It! | A-Z Index | News Releases | Jobs | Contact Us

For questions or comments regarding the Clark County Web site:

© 2008 Clark County Washington | Disclaimer and legal notice | Health Information Privacy Notice