Documents are recorded and made "public record" in the Recording Division of the County Auditor's Office. The types of documents recorded are:
- Real Estate, including mortgages, deeds of trust, etc.
- Marriage License
- Marriage certificates issued since 1890 are located in the Auditor's Office records.
- Birth and death certificates from 1890-1907 are located in the Auditor's Office records.
Copies of recorded documents may be obtained online or by visiting or contacting the Auditor's Office.
Prior to obtaining a copy, you will need the document's Recording Number, which can be found in the Auditor Document Index.
Documents not recorded by the Recording Division:
- Birth and death certificates, including those issued after 1907
Contact: Health Department, (360) 397-8000
- Court records, including divorce decrees
Contact: Clark County Clerk, (360) 397-2292
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Recording Fees have changed effective September 1, 2012
House Bill 2048, amending RCW 36.22.179, was passed on February 29, 2012 and signed into law by the Governor March 29, 2012. As enacted by the State Legislature, the surcharge for local homeless housing and assistance included in Washington State's document recording fees will increase to $40.00, effective September 1, 2012 through June 30, 2015. This will result in a fee increase of $10.00 for most standard recorded documents.
Documents excluded from the homeless housing fees are:
- Assignments of Deed of Trust
- Substitutions of Trustee
- Appointment of Successor Trustee
- Resignation of Trustee
- Resignation and Appointment of Successor Trustee
- Documents otherwise exempted from a recording fee by state law
Assignments or substitutions of previously recorded deeds of trust, as indicated below:
Please click here to see the current fee schedule.
Auditor Document Index
The Auditor Document Index is an online information retrieval system. Its primary purpose is to search for and display information about recorded documents in the Auditor's Office. Recorded documents are of "Public Record" and include all Real Estate documents, as well as several other miscellaneous document types. Court documents are excluded from this index.