On January 31, Clark County filed a lawsuit that seeks to overturn the December 2010 federal decision to take land into trust to establish a reservation for the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
The federal decision would allow the Cowlitz to establish a tribal headquarters on a 152-acre site west of LaCenter next to Interstate 5 in unincorporated Clark County. If it stands, the decision would open the door for construction of a hotel-retail-entertainment complex with 134,150 square feet of gambling space.
- County takes lead in appealing Cowlitz casino decision in federal court (PDF) (01/31/11)
- Clark County to appeal Cowlitz casino decision in federal court (PDF) (01/12/11)
- County and tribe cancel 2004 agreement over potential development (PDF) (04/08/09)
- County's Comments to the Final Environmental Impact Statement (PDF 7MB)
- Commissioners oppose commercial gaming - 04/08/08 (PDF)
- 2004 Cowlitz Tribe Memorandum of Understanding (PDF)
- Clark County Resolution - 01/28/08 (PDF)
- Letter from Cowlitz Indian Tribe Chairman, John Barnett (PDF)
- Board of commissionersí response to John Barnett (PDF)
- Letter from Board of Commissioners' to Carl Artman (PDF)
- Response from U.S. Department of the Interior to a letter sent from the Board of Clark County Commissioners (PDF)