Another way to affect government is to seek elective office. Just as there are many ways to participate in the government process, there are many different offices you could choose — everything from school board member to county commissioner, city council member to sewer district commissioner.
Who is eligible?
Each office on the ballot comes with its own set of qualifications. However, some basic rules apply. These are:
- Candidates must be registered voters.
- Candidates must live in the district in which they are seeking office.
- Candidates must be United States citizens.
- Candidates must file within certain timelines and pay the required fees. This is usually 1 percent of the position’s yearly salary.
- There are different requirements for public disclosure information depending on the office. This is information candidates are required to provide regarding campaign contributions, supporters, and personal financial information.
For more information on upcoming elections and filing for elective office, please contact the Clark County Elections Office at (360) 397-2345.