Here are leash and scoop laws dog owners should know before packing up the favorite pooch and heading out.
- Dogs may walk on a leash at any public park or trail, except Klineline Pond and the Vancouver Lake beach area.
- Dogs are not allowed to be off the leash at any park or trail except the following five dog parks:
Ross Off-Leash Dog Recreation Area
Northeast Ross Street at 18th Avenue near Bonneville Power’s Ross Substation in Vancouver’s Minnehaha neighborhood
Dakota Memorial Off-Leash Area at Pacific Community Park
16303 N.E. 15th St., Vancouver
Brush Prairie Off-Leash Area
Northeast 149th Street at 101st Place, west of the Center for Agriculture, Science & Environmental Education
Hockinson Off-Leash Area
10910 NE 172nd Ave., north of NE 99th Street, Vancouver
Stevenson Off-Leash Area
3003 Addy St., Washougal
Clark County recognizes the importance of providing additional off-leash dog parks to serve residents. We now are working with Clark County DOGPAW, a local non-profit, to open more dog parks.
- Owners must pick up and dispose of dog feces at any public park or trail, including the off-leash dog parks.
- People who do not honor the leash and scoop laws may be fined up to $250.
The county provides dog waste bags only at the Salmon Creek Greenway Trail, and encourages dog owners to bring plastic bags when visiting parks and trails.
Pet waste left on the ground at parks and trails ultimately gets washed into streams, creeks, rivers and wetlands. This waste is raw sewage, and carries harmful bacteria that can affect the health of not only aquatic wildlife, but humans as well.
Clark County has more than 103,000 dogs, which together generate more than 6,000 tons of waste per year. Buddy the Clean Water Dog would like to encourage all dog owners to take the Canines for Clean Water Pledge to help protect our streams by:
- Picking up after your dog
- Staying on-leash in wetlands and other sensitive areas and in all parks and trails
- Avoiding contact with streams and wildlife
- Sharing this important message with other dog owners