Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Link to jobs
Community Development
A to Z index
Forms and fees
Property research and records
Common questions
Information for industry professionals
About Community Development
Report neighborhood and safety concerns
Who to Contact



Community Development heading


Fire Marshal and state ban recreational fires, danger continues


Jon Dunaway, Clark County Fire Marshal
Phone: (360) 397-2186 ext. 3324

Vancouver, WA − Effective Thursday, Sept. 20, Clark County and local fire agencies, in cooperation with Washington State Department of Natural Resources, will ban recreational outdoor fires at homes.

Recreational fires outside Clark County homes are prohibited until further notice. This restriction is in addition to the seasonal, land-clearing burn ban enacted in July; it could be extended beyond September, when it typically ends. Check with the Fire Marshal’s office at (360) 397-2186 ext. 3394 before burning in October.

The recreational fire ban does not extend to federally managed lands, although similar restrictions may be in place there as well.

The ban will help protect people, property and animals during the unusually dry conditions and while firefighters continue to battle blazes across the state.

“We have seen several grass and brush fires over the past several days that have demonstrated how volatile the outdoor fuels are at this point,” said Jon Dunaway, Clark County Fire Marshal. “A two-acre grass fire threatened an apartment complex Tuesday, showing that this significant hazard can occur in suburban areas as well as forested parts of the county.”

Recreational fire bans also are in effect in the cities of Vancouver, Camas and Washougal as well as Cowlitz County.

Recreational campfires are only allowed in improved fire pits in officially designated campgrounds, such as in county and state parks.

Fire officials recommend having a family evacuation plan. Gather important items to take if you must leave on short notice. Make sure family members know where to meet if an evacuation occurs when they are away or unable to return home.

top of page


Permit Center information

Check current wait times


Public Service Center
1300 Franklin St., 1st floor
Vancouver, WA - map


8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Phone (360) 397-2375


(360) 397-2375 ext. 4807
Email for appointments

Quick find list

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

Browse for information
Animals and pets


Building information


Fire prevention


Land use information