The Sheriff's Office differs from other County departments in that it is governed by the Revised Code of Washington, 41.14, Civil Service for Sheriff's Office. Civil Service requires additional components of the recruitment process to include:
Civil Service Eligibility List
Candidates who successfully pass the written/practical exams and the oral board interview will be ranked according to final scores, placed on an eligibility list, and the list will be certified by the Clark County Civil Service Commission.
Veteran's Preference will be granted to qualified candidates per RCW 41.04.005 who will receive either 5% or 10% added to their final score (prior to list ranking) in accordance with RCW 41.04.010 and 73.16.010, for all Sheriff's Office positions. To claim Veteran's Preference, candidates must attach a DD214 military discharge form to their application.
Background Interview / Investigation
A comprehensive investigation based on information provided by candidates' Personal History Statements, from high school years forward is conducted by the Clark County Sheriff's Office.
NOTE: A polygraph examination is conducted as a part of the interview process with the background investigator.
The top three candidates, who have successfully passed all phases of the recruitment process, are then considered for employment.
What are the different kinds of application status?
Application status definitions are as follows: (Please note, not all of these will apply to every recruitment.)
- Failed Background: You did not pass the Background portion of this recruitment.
- Failed Oral Interview: You did not pass the Oral Interview portion of this recruitment.
- Failed Post Offer Process: You did not pass one of the Post Offer Processes of this recruitment.
- Failed Practical Exam: You did not pass a practical exam portion of this recruitment.
- Failed Rule of 3: You did not pass the Rule of 3 for this recruitment.
- Passed Over: You were not selected for employment but will still be considered for this Eligibility Pool.
- Passed Over - Rule of 3 & Removed: You were passed over during the Rule of 3 and are being removed from the Eligibility List.
- Passed Over - Rule of 3: You were passed over during the Rule of 3 but will still be considered for this Eligibility Pool.
- Pending - On Active Eligibility List: Your application will still be considered as you remain on the Eligibility List.
- Time on Eligibility List Expired: Your time on the eligibility list has expired and you will no longer be considered.