Public Health Community Award winners announced - ceremony April 24
• Dr. Sally Williams, for improving access to health care
• Vancouver Public Schools, for helping community partners support youth, families
Vancouver, WA— Dr. Sally Williams and Vancouver Public Schools, winners of the 2013 Public Health Community Award, will be recognized by the Clark County Board of Health on Wednesday, April 24. The 8:30 a.m. ceremony will open the Board’s monthly meeting in the sixth-floor hearing room of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St.
Dr. Williams was chosen for tireless commitment to improving access to health care for low-income residents. She serves on the board of directors of the Free Clinic of Southwest Washington, where she volunteers as a physician. Dr. Williams was instrumental in developing Project Access, a network of volunteer health care providers serving people without insurance. She runs the antibiotic stewardship program at PeaceHealth Southwest and Legacy Salmon Creek medical centers and serves on PeaceHealth’s board of directors.
Vancouver Public Schools was chosen for establishing Family-Community Resource Centers at public schools. The schools serve as hubs for community partners serving youth, families and communities. Partners promote learning readiness, consistent school attendance and student engagement with school, family and community. Their work supports academic success and physical, social and emotional health.
• Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation, improving quality of life for residents of all ages and abilities
• Dr. Peter Lubisich, III, improving access to dental services
• Faith-Based Coffee, an interfaith group leveraging partnerships to promote neighborhood health in central Vancouver
• The Free Clinic of Southwest Washington, a resource for 60,000 residents without health insurance in Southwest Washington
• Skyline Community Health Advocate Program, promoting health and fitness in a public housing complex
• Snap Fitness of Battle Ground, encouraging health and fitness among older adults.
top of page