Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Link to jobs
Prosecuting Attorney
Victim assistance
Victim Notification System
Contact us


Prosecuting Attorney - victim assistance

Victim assistance


Our victim assistance advocates will help you work through the criminal justice system and ensure that you are treated in accordance with Washington State Constitution and the Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights.

Services provided include:

  • Ongoing information regarding the status of a criminal case.
  • Explanation of and orientation to the Criminal Justice process.
  • Referral to community resources and agencies. If we cannot meet your specific needs, you will be referred to an appropriate social service agency that can help you in coping with the problems resulting from the crime.
  • Assistance with Washington State Crime Victims Compensation claims. If you suffered an injury that led to medical expense, or resulted in loss of wages, or temporary or permanent disability, you may be eligible for benefits under this State program. There is no money available for property losses.
  • Assistance with the return of property held in evidence by the police or the courts. Stolen property that is recovered by the Police or Sheriff Department is placed in an evidence locker in the Property Room. If you are experiencing a delay in recovering your personal property, please call (360) 397-2008.
  • Determination of financial loss for restitution in felony cases. The court may order a defendant to pay restitution. Restitution is the money that the offender pays to reimburse you for medical bills, property damage, and other financial losses that were a result of the crime.

    Restitution is paid to the Clark County Clerk’s Office where a record is kept of the amount received. The Clerk’s Office sends the reimbursement to you or your insurance company when the payment is received from the defendant. If you change your address, you must notify the Clerk’s Office at (360) 397-2295. (Be sure to include the defendant’s name and case number). Questions about how much and how regularly the defendant has paid are best answered by calling the Collections
    Unit at (360) 397-6085.
  • Assistance with victim impact statement. Victims of crime have a right to describe to the court the impact the crime has had on their lives. The Victim Assistance Unit will provide a form, assistance in filling it out and delivery to the judges and deputy prosecutor handling the case.
  • Escort to attorney interviews and to court appearances.


Related information
Find it

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by email any time.