The property consists of two distinct structures built as a single unit on one tax parcel in 1928. One building housed The Columbian newspaper from 1928 to 1955. The other building was retail space first occupied by a business named Storm King Ice Cream and followed by several other retail tenants.
The original Columbian Building was an “L” shaped building located at the corner of Evergreen and Broadway. The style is described as restrained Beaux Arts. The building has facades on both Evergreen and Broadway. The Evergreen façade has three bays separated by pilasters. The building entrance is located in the central bay. The Broadway façade has five bays. Originally, the entrance to the building was located in the middle three bays. The building was altered dramatically in 1964 when the façade of both buildings was covered and made to appear as one building.
Walter Day Hillborn, known as Day W. Hillborn, built the Columbian Building. Day Hillborn left a lasting architectural legacy in the state of Washington.
The Columbian newspaper
On October 10, 1890 local printer Tom Carolan published the first issue of the Vancouver Columbian. It was established as a Democratic paper to counter the local Republican paper. A few years later, it switched to the Republican Party.
Herbert J. Campbell acquired The Columbian in 1921. A Republican, Campbell changed the editorial stance to neutral. Herbert originally published The Columbian in a second floor office at 215 Main St. It was later moved to a renovated post office building at Fourth and Washington, but soon outgrew that space, too. So, in 1928 Campbell constructed the first building in Clark County specifically designed to house a newspaper. The Columbian operated at this location for another 26 years until it out grew the space and moved to the site on West Eighth Street in 1955.