Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
 
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Link to jobs
Community Planning
Historic preservation
Historic sites
A to Z index
Location index
Contact us

 

 
Transportation planning

St. James Catholic Church

Did you Know?

The church served as the seat of the bishop until 1907.

Built

Circa ~ 1885

Address

204 W. 12th St., Vancouver
Directions to the St. James Catholic Church.

Open to public?

Yes. 

 

St. James Catholic Church

 

     

St. James Catholic Church dominates the skyline of downtown Vancouver, Washington. The degree of ornamentation and sophistication in this, the first cathedral in Washington Territory, is remarkable. The church was completed in 1885 when Vancouver was essentially a frontier town. Its architecture was an astonishing contrast to the rude wood buildings surrounding it. Only the Providence Academy, built by Mother Joseph twelve years earlier, could compete with its imposing presence, and that structure was located several blocks to the east. The lack of technology, the primitive condition of the marketplace, and the distance from other centers of culture and production make the building of this cathedral significant.

St. James Cathedral is historically significant for its association with the development of Vancouver and the establishment of the Catholic community in the Pacific Northwest. The church represented a culmination of church activities with several figures important in the history of the region including Bishop A.M.A. Blanchet, who initiated the project, and Mother Joseph, who is credited with part of the design. 

The completed structure was a surprisingly academic example of the Victorian Gothic Revival and the first masonry Gothic church in the territory. The church served as the seat of the bishop until 1907 when the bishop moved to Seattle. Since that time, the church has served the Vancouver community as a center of Catholic worship and social activity. Today, the church continues to retain excellent exterior and interior integrity.

  • Listed on the Washington Heritage Register 1986.
Related information
Find it

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • A-Z index - All services and programs are listed.
  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by e-mail any time.