The house is located on a corner lot in the northwest corner of Kauffman Avenue and 20th Street. The area is a residential neighborhood and is located within the Hough Neighborhood.
The house was constructed in 1910 and is a 2.5 story structure of American Foursquare design. The building is one of the few remaining intact Classic Box style homes in the city. The majority of the other examples have had significant exterior renovation or alteration.
The home is sheathed in the original narrow lapped siding and is finished with corner boards and a ground sill. The low-pitched, hipped roofline is pierced by hipped-roof dormers on the east and south sides and is finished in a similar manner to the rest of the house. The roofline has a wide plain frieze with curved brackets grouped in threes. The full-width front porch has a short railing with square carved balusters and a lattice porch skirt. The hipped porch roof has a plain frieze above three simple columns. Windows on the main floor, second floor and attic are all one-over-one double-hung sashes and have plain surrounds with narrow shelf heads. Two leaded glass windows with lozenge panes on the main floor are original to the house. A detached two car garage is located at the rear of the property with a driveway off of West 20th Street. The exterior treatment of the garage is similar to that of the house.
In 1908, Leonard L. Stover, a local builder, purchased Lots 7 and 8 of Block 8 of the Portland Addition. Mr. Stover was a local builder who built several prominent homes in the Hough Neighborhood. In 1909, Mr. Stover contracted with local real estate financier, Nathan W. Merrifield and his wife, Kathryn to build a residence. The home was completed in 1910. The Merrifields lived in the 2000 Kauffman home for approximately five years. It was leased for several years and then sold on contract to Dr. Andrew W. & Adelphine E. Stevenson, in 1922.
Dr. Andrew W. Stevenson
Dr. Stevenson moved to Washington from the Midwest in 1907. He was employed as a surgeon for the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company in Yacolt. Shortly after that he moved to Vancouver and married Adelphine Widerhold. Dr. Stevenson is listed as having medical offices in 412 U.S. National Bank Building and 511 Arts Building in downtown Vancouver and served as a staff physician for many years at St. Joseph’s Hospital. He was a charter member of the Clark County Historical Society as well as other local civic and professional associations. For a period of time, he maintained a medical office at his home where he saw patients. Residents that lived in the area recall Dr. Stevenson as the “neighborhood doctor” who made house calls.
- Listed on the Clark County Heritage Register in 2005.