The Stryker House provides an excellent example of an early 20th century Craftsman bungalow. The 1.5 story, side-gabled house sits on the edge of the ridge from which Ridgefield derives its name. The house is oriented on the lot with the front facing to the east. The western and southern views are toward the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge.
A broad porch wraps around the eastern, southern, and western facades, maximizing the views. The roof’s rafters are exposed along the horizontal edges and triangular knee braces support the rake edges. The shed roof dormers break through the eastern and southern rooflines and are clad in shingles. The dormer windows consist of two sets of sliding (side by side) eight by eight divided lights. The rest of the house contains five sets of nine-over-one double-hung windows and five sets of four-over-one double-hung windows.
The gardens on the 1.25 acre site are also significant. Most of the site is landscaped. Many features of the original garden remain including the two ponds, roses, lilacs, azaleas and rhododendrons.
Dr. Ralph and Florence Stryker
Dr. Stryker was the second physician to practice in Ridgefield and the only physician residing in Ridgefield from his arrival in 1906 until his death in 1937. Dr. Stryker kept an office above the pharmacy at what is now Main Street. He built his home nearby, to allow him a walk of a few short blocks to the office. One of the existing charms of Ridgefield is the proximity of the business district, the waterfront and the surrounding neighborhoods. Dr. Stryker took advantage of all three with the placement of his home.
In 1928, Dr. Stryker married Florence Dorothea Noffz. Florence was extremely active in the community. She was a member of The Order of the Eastern Star, the Priscilla Club, Cub Scout Den mother, Mother advisor to the Rainbow girls and a founding member of the Ridgefield garden club, an organization that still exists. Florence also served as Director of the Lewis and Clark District and served terms as both Treasurer and President of the Washington State Federation of Garden clubs. Florence lived at her home on 3rd Street until her death in 1996.
Both Dr. and Florence Stryker were avid gardeners and during the depression, the Strykers would offer food and shelter to transients in exchange for garden work. Also, patients who were unable to pay their bills also assisted with landscaping projects.
- Listed on the Clark County Heritage Register in 2007.