Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Link to jobs
Community Planning
Current projects
Completed projects
A to Z index
Contact us


Transportation planning

Turn in old, extra medicine April 26 to protect families, environment


Jim Mansfield, Environmental Services
Phone: (360) 397-2121 ext. 4016

Vancouver, WA – If you have medication you no longer need, dispose of it safely, for free and with no questions asked, during three collections on Saturday, April 26.

During last year’s collection, more than 500 people brought in more than 1,100 pounds of unwanted medication for disposal by the Clark County Sheriff’s Office. In addition, more than 400 pounds of paper, cardboard, glass and plastic containers were recycled.

This year, unwanted medications will be collected from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 26 at:
• Battle Ground Police Department, 507 S.W. First St.
• Clark College's Purple Parking Lot #1 (by the soccer field), 1900 Fort Vancouver Way.
• Kaiser Permanente's Cascade Park Medical Office, 12607 S.E. Mill Plain Blvd.

These events are sponsored by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, Clark County Sheriff's Office, Clark County Environmental Services, Battle Ground and Vancouver police departments, and Kaiser Permanente, in partnership with Clark College, PREVENT! The Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Clark County and PREVENT! The Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition of Battle Ground.

Concern about the abuse of prescription drugs, especially among teenagers, has placed greater emphasis on proper medication disposal. In addition, trace levels of medications have been found in ground and surface water. To protect water, unwanted medication should not be flushed down the toilet or dumped down the drain.

“The proper disposal of unwanted medication is critical to reducing substance abuse and safeguarding our environment,” said Don Benton, Environmental Services director.

All unwanted medications, controlled and non-controlled, will be accepted at the April 26 collections. But unwanted medication also can be disposed of at several sites across Clark County. Controlled substances, such as pain killers and tranquilizers, can be taken to participating law enforcement agencies. Non-controlled substances, such as over-the-counter medications, can be taken to participating pharmacies.

For more information on both types of disposal, visit “Medications” at
For more information about disposal or recycling options for other materials, call Environmental Services at (360) 397-2121 ext. 4352.

top of page

Find it

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • A-Z index - All services and programs are listed.
  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by e-mail any time.
Browse for information
Comprehensive Grwoth Management Plan
Comprehensive Growth Management Plan
Land use planning
Land use planning
Transportation planning
Transportation planning
Historic Preservation
Historic preservation