Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Link to jobs
Community Planning
Current projects
Completed projects
A to Z index
Contact us


Transportation planning

Keep pets home safe, cool during July 4 fireworks, warm weather


Paul Scarpelli, Animal Protection and Control
Phone: (360) 397-2375 ext. 4705

Vancouver, WA – Clark County reminds pet owners to make sure their animals are safely secured during fireworks season and take extra precautions for them during hot weather.

Licensing pets anytime helps ensure you will be reunited with them if they become lost. More dogs and cats end up in animal shelters just before and after Independence Day celebrations than any other time of the year. In panic or confusion caused by exploding fireworks, pets might try to escape enclosures, dig under fences, chew through leashes, and run from home. About 80 percent of lost pets wearing collars with licenses tags are reunited with their owners.

Pet licenses applications are available at the first floor Permit Center of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St. For a list of other locations, please call (360) 397-2488 or visit

To keep your animals healthy in hot summer weather:

  • Do not leave pets in a parked car, even with the windows open or in the shade. Leave pets at home when you go out.

  • Leave pets with plenty of water and food and in an area with shelter. Remember they’re wearing a fur coat and have no sweat glands.

  • Do not allow a dog to travel unsecured in the bed of a pickup truck, especially in extreme heat. The metal truck bed can become so hot it burns the pads of a dog’s paws. Besides, Washington law requires animals to be secured.

  • Walk or exercise your pets in the morning or evening, not in the afternoon heat. The heat will cause premature exhaustion and hot pavement can burn their paws.

Signs of heat stroke in an animal are excessive panting and salivation, glassy stares, dizziness and vomiting. Call your veterinarian.

If you see an animal that is not properly cared for, you can call Clark County Animal Protection and Control at (360) 397-2488.

top of page

Find it

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • A-Z index - All services and programs are listed.
  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by e-mail any time.
Browse for information
Comprehensive Grwoth Management Plan
Comprehensive Growth Management Plan
Land use planning
Land use planning
Transportation planning
Transportation planning
Historic Preservation
Historic preservation