Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us
Public Health
Food safety Food safety section
Food safety at home
Food service forms
Food worker testing
Restaurant inspections
Selling food
Report a public health concern
Contact us
Food worker
Public Health food safety
Food worker testing

If you have a job preparing or serving food, you are required to have a food worker card.

How do I get a food worker card?

To get your food worker card, you now have 2 options:

  • Online testing on your own computer; or                                      
  • Testing at Clark County Public Health                                                                   

Online Testing                                                                        

Register, take the test and get your card at


  • Before you start make certain you read the following instructions at online testing (PDF).
  • You are now ready to take the online course and test at:
  • Frequently asked questions (PDF)
  • I cannot print my card. What do I do? A returning user has up to 5 days to log back in and print their food worker card without charge. After 5 days an established card replacement fee will apply.

Testing at Clark County Public Health    

To get your food worker card at Public Health you must watch a 30-minute training video and pass a test. You may watch the video and take the test at Public Health or complete online.

Testing location

Clark County Public Health
Center for Community Health
Environmental Public Health Services
1601 E. Fourth Plain Blvd., Vancouver
Map and directions

Testing days and times

  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
    8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Registration ends promptly at 3:00 p.m.

Special needs appointments:

  • Wednesday 
    To schedule an appointment, please call
    (360) 397-8428

Do I need to make an appointment to take the test?
You don’t need an appointment. Testing is done on a "first come, first served" basis.

What information do I need to bring with me?

  • Photo identification  

How much does it cost?
There is a $10 fee that must be paid after passing the test. If you do not pass the test you will not be asked to pay.  You can pay the fee with cash, debit or credit card.

Can I bring my children or a friend with me?
Only the person taking the test is allowed in the testing area. Children must be supervised in the lobby.

What is PIC Training?

The State of Washington Food Rule states that at least one designated person in charge (PIC) must be present during all hours of operation for food establishments. 

PIC training (PDF) is a four-hour workshop to help shift leaders, managers, supervisors and owners address major food safety practices and requirements of a person in charge.  This workshop is presented by Washington State University Extension in cooperation with Clark County Public Health.  For further workshop information please contact Sandy Brown, Washington State University Extension, at 360-397-6060, ext. 5700.

PIC training does NOT replace the Washington Food & Beverage Worker's Permit.



News and alerts

Washington State Food Rule
Highlights of the changes and additions to the Washington State Food Rule (PDF)

Cottage Food Operations law
The new Cottage Food Operations law allows people to make certain foods (e.g. jams, jellies and baked goods) in their home kitchens and sell directly to consumers. These operations will be licensed and inspected by the state department of agriculture (WSDA).

Be wary of unauthorized online food worker training programs
The only site approved for online food worker testing in Washington State is Two websites that do not qualify as state approved are and

Related information
Find it list

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • A-Z index - All services and programs are listed.
  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by e-mail anytime.
  • Services - All services listed by category.
Spanish contact information

(360) 397-8000 ext. 7205

Russian contact information

(360) 397-8000 ext. 7214