|Basic facts about HIV
The best defense against HIV is prevention
- HIV is spread through unsafe sex and sharing needles.
- Use condoms consistently and never share needles or works.
- HIV prevention programs can help you lower your risk.*
Know your HIV status.
- Get tested for HIV.
- Test at least once in your lifetime.
- Test every 3 months if you practice high risk behaviors.*
HIV is now a treatable disease.
- There is no cure for HIV.
- Medications can help people live longer, healthier lives.
- Taking medications properly is a lifelong commitment.
HIV awareness and information help promote understanding.
- You can't tell by looking at someone that they have HIV.
- Anyone practicing high risk behaviors can be infected.*
- Judging people with HIV can promote the spread of the disease.*
*Those at highest risk for HIV are men who have sex with men, injection drug users, their partners and individuals whose partners are HIV positive.