Clark County logo   Clark County Washington title  
Links to finding county services
Search the Web site
Clark County home page A to Z index Find it Links to other sites News releases Contact us
Public Health
Drinking water and wells Food safety section
Group A water systems
Group B water systems
Operations and maintenance of wells
Individual water systems
View your drinking water information online
Contact us
Food worker
Drinking Water and wells
Irrigation Wells

Water wells may be drilled or converted from a drinking water source solely for the purpose of irrigating land.  Washington Department of Health, Washington Department of Ecology and Clark County Public Health each play a role ensuring irrigation wells are constructed, utilized, and maintained in a manner that provides source protection and public safety.

Well driller inform us of all intents to drill a well.  New and existing wells proposed for irrigation uses must be tested for water quality (coliform and nitrate).  Applicants are responsible for collecting water samples for analysis by a Washington State Certified Laboratory.  Some local laboratories are listed on the Service Provider list (PDF).

Irrigation wells must meet the following criteria to be considered for approval:

  • All proposed irrigation wells must be located on lots with a minimum lot size of .5 acres or larger, and the proposed irrigation well must be located within the property boundary of the applicant's lot.
  • No more than 5,000 gallons per day shall be withdrawn from an irrigation well, nor more than .5 acres be irrigated, without possession of a valid water right certification granted by the Department of Ecology.
  • The proposed irrigation well and "lift" method must be in safe and operation condition.

How to apply:

Related information
Find it list

Having trouble finding what you are looking for?

  • A-Z index - All services and programs are listed
  • Contact us on the phone during business hours or by e-mail any time
  • Services - All services by catagory
Spanish contact information

(360) 397-8000 ext. 7205

Russian contact information

(360) 397-8000 ext. 7214