Project number: 330222
|The western portion of NE 88th Street, from Highway 99 to NE 25th Avenue, has reopened to through traffic.
- Project limits: Highway 99 east to NE St. Johns Road
- Current status: Construction expected to be completed in October 2013
- Project type: Widen and improve existing two-lane road
NE 88th Street, from Highway 99 east to NE St. Johns Road, is a narrow, busy road that provides a major east-west route in the Hazel Dell area.
Project update - October 2013
Rotschy Inc., Clark County’s general contractor on the NE 88th Street project, has completed paving on NE 88th Street but still have to finish some paving repairs and striping. The contractor also will need to plant landscaping later this year.
• Improve and widen 1.7 miles of NE 88th Street from Highway 99 to NE St. Johns Road, with one travel lane in each direction and a continuous left-turn lane.
• Add bicycle lanes, planter strips, sidewalks, curbs and gutters on both sides of the road.
• Install new utility lines.
• Build stormwater improvements to collect and treat polluted storm runoff from the roadway.
• Construct retaining walls and other features where needed.
Construction schedule and phasing
Construction is expected to begin in mid-June and continue for two seasons. Construction is scheduled to be complete in October 2013, although weather and other complications could cause work to stretch into 2014.
The project likely will be built in three phases:
• NE Highway 99 to NE 25th Avenue
• NE 25th Avenue to NE 34th Avenue
• NE 34th Avenue to NE St. Johns Road
Closed for road work
The western half of NE 88th Street will be closed to all traffic except for emergency vehicles, school buses and private vehicles for those who have no other way to reach homes or businesses along or near the road.
Drivers who must use NE 88th Street should expect delays and must follow the directions of flaggers at all times. All other traffic should detour to NE 78th Street. NE 25th Avenue will remain open over the duration of the project.
Clark County will do everything it can to make this project as smooth as possible, including:
• Prohibiting the contractor from working after 7 p.m.
• Requiring the contractor to have plans for controlling dust and providing residential access.
• Requiring the contractor to have a community liaison to respond to questions, concerns and complaints.
With construction taking place almost entirely in a residential area, there is heightened concern for safety.
Pedestrians always should remain on a designated walkway through the construction zone and stay at least 100 feet from moving equipment.
A construction zone can be a temptation for children looking for a place to play. Parents should take extra care to keep their children safe and out of the construction zone.
Clark County Public Works will work closely with Vancouver and Battle Ground school districts to ease delays for school buses.
At this point, neither school district expects to change bus routes. Vancouver Public Schools will notify parents if it decides to change where buses pick up and drop off students.
For more information on school buses, contact:
• Vancouver Public Schools, Transportation Office, (360) 313-4800.
• Battle Ground Public Schools, Petermann NW (school bus contractor), (360) 687-7137 ext. 32.
Construction has required C-Tran to detour Route 25 Fruit Valley/St. Johns. Starting on May 13, 2012, NE 88th Street and a portion of Highway 99 have not had C-Tran service. Route 25 has detoured detour north to NE 99th Street to directly serve the 99th Street Transit Center. C-Tran riders can catch either Route 25 along NE 99th Street or Route 78 on NE 78th Street.
Trip planning assistance and detour information are available at: www.c-tran.com
Don Andrews, Project Manager
Clark County Public Works
(360) 397-6118 ext. 4362
Bart Arthur, Construction Engineer
Clark County Public Works
(360) 397-6118 ext. 4948
Join our email list and stay up to date on the NE 88th Street project