scrap - School & Community Reuse Action Project - portland
2915 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, OR 97227
For more information: SCRAP
Open: Monday and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Materials SCRAP can accept
Paper: Standard Copy Paper (plain, colored, cardstock, etc.), Letterhead, Watercolor Paper, Drawing Pads, Construction Paper, Butcher Paper (rolls), Posterboard, Wrapping Paper, Paper Sample Books, Maps, Calendars (new and used), Magazines (art/craft related – see complete list at right), Tissue Paper, Postage Stamps, Select Image Books, Blueprints, Cardboard Tubes (minimum 12″ long – please no toilet paper or papertowel tubes). We cannot take “junk mail.”
Fabric and Notions: Fabric (yardage only -1/4 yd minimum, NO scraps, NO sheets or curtains), Zippers, Buttons, Beads, Thread, Needles, Pins, Trim, Lace, Ribbon, Velcro, Leather, String and Yarn(ball or skein – NO tangles), Knitting Needles, Crochet Hooks, Patterns.
Artist’s Mediums: Paint – watercolor, acrylic, oil, tempera (not dried out), Paint Brushes, Pastels, Glitter, Glue, Chalk, Ink, Stamps and Pads, Squeegees, Rollers, Carving Tools, Stencils, Transfer Letters and Numbers.
Mat Board, Framing, Sign Making: Mat Board (6″ X 6″ and larger, cut and uncut; NO strips), Foam Core (12″ X 12″ and larger), Frames (with or without glass, no broken glass or loose glass), Mat Board Corner Samples, Frame Corner Samples, Acrylic, Plexiglass, Corrugated Plastic, Sign Board, Adhesive Vinyl.
Architecture/Design: Carpet Samples (12″x12″ or larger), Formica Samples, Wallcovering books, Tile (colorful – 4″ x 4″ max), Paint Chip Samples, Fabric Books, Fabric Swatches (6″x6″ or larger), Wood Samples (1′ square or smaller).
Office Supplies: Pens (usable), Pencils, Erasers, Markers (usable), Crayons, Chalk, Rulers, Scissors, Hole Punches, Staplers, Staples (standard size only), Staple Removers, Tape Dispensers, Tape, File Folders (manila, pocket and hanging), File Tabs, Dividers, Transparencies (unused), Rubber Bands, Paperclips, Envelopes (new or w/logo, not from junk mail, NO WINDOWS), Labels, Binders (1/2″-2″ only, NO logos).
Media/Tech: CDs (new, used), Media Cases (CD, VHS, cassette, DVD), Film Canisters, Slide Carousels, Slides, Floppy Disks, Telephone Wire, Wire (not power cords).
Metal: Clean & unbent Bottle Caps, tins, ornate metal fixtures (hooks, doorknobs, etc.), uncoated wire.
Wood: Small blocks and boards (NO nails, staples, or pressure treated). Accepted at staff’s discretion.
Miscellaneous: Wine Corks, Tennis Balls, Stickers, Bubble Wrap, Baby Food Jars with Lids, Fake Flowers, Trophies, Gift Bags, Ribbons and Bows, Lenses. Others accepted at staff discretion.
Materials SCRAP CANNOT accept
- SPRAY PAINT – we can no longer accept spray paint or any aerosols due to the new law requiring that spray paint be locked up and sales be logged
- Clothing of any kind – not even as fabric
- Books (unless they are art- or craft-related)
- Household Goods and Appliances
- Knick-Knacks – figurines, ornaments, flower pots
- Computers, printers, ink cartridges, software
- Food Containers – yogurt tubs, cookie containers, Tupperware or Storage Bins
- Packing Peanuts – bring them to a shipping store
- Plastic Packaging
- Block Styrofoam
- Toilet Paper or paper towel Rolls, Egg Cartons
- Broken glass, dishware, ceramics
- TOYS – The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 prohibits the sale of children’s products – including toys – that exceed certain lead limits. Since we have no way to know if a used item, we no longer accept or sell used children’s items.
Call before you drive!
This information was compiled from information provided by each agency or business and is updated periodically. Although local government staff has attempted to include as many Clark County recycling listings as possible, these resources should not be viewed as a comprehensive list. Due to space limitations, most businesses located outside of Clark County have not been included.