Clark County Washington
Home Find It! A-Z Index Departments & Programs Jobs Contact Us
Treasurer > Property Taxes > Understanding Your Tax Bill

Understanding Your Tax Bill

Tax Bill Definitions and Descriptions

View a sample tax bill  (PDF file - 67k)

Locating Your Property Account Number (PAN)

How do I find the PAN?

  • Refer to your property deed; or
  • Refer to your closing documents from the purchase of your home; or
  • Review correspondence from the Clark County Assessor's Office or Treasurer's Office

If none of these are available for reference, you may go to the property tax information page and search for the PAN. Follow the steps listed below:

Go to and use the property account or the property address box, or if there is no address, use the maps online.

About Your Property Account Number (PAN)

  1. What is a PAN?
  2. Why is the PAN Important?
  3. How can I be sure to pay on the right PAN?
  4. Can a PAN ever change?
  5. If my taxes are paid from my escrow, do I need to be aware of my PAN?
  6. Do I need my PAN for any other reason?

Knowing your PAN is important to protecting your money and the real estate that you own.  Property taxes may be paid by current or past owners, a title company, a mortgage company, a leaseholder, a cooperative, a tax buyer, or a combination of parties.  Unlike an account that is assigned to an individual or business, a PAN is assigned to the property.  The important information intended to help you understand the importance of your PAN.

1. What is a PAN?

A PAN stands for Property Account Number. This unique 9-digit sequence number is assigned by the Clark County Assessor's Office to the legal description for each piece of real estate including vacant lots, parking spaces, and condominium common areas. The PAN is used for assessments, tax rate calculations, and tax collections.

2. Why is the PAN Important?

A PAN is to a property what a social security number is to a person. If you have your name placed on a tax bill for the wrong PAN and pay that wrong PAN, the taxes on the PAN you actually own are still delinquent. For that reason, the PAN is the key to making correct payments.

3. How can I be sure to pay on the right PAN?

A. Match the PAN on the tax bill to the PAN on your deed. This is very important when you: (1) pay off a mortgage and take over tax payments; or (2) refinance with a new company; or (3) have an attorney who handles your real-estate matters; or (4) have a tax accountant who is handling your taxes. If your deed contains only a legal description, the County Assessor's Office, which assigns PANS, can find the PAN.

4. Can a PAN ever change?

A. Yes. When a property is divided, each new parcel gains a new legal description resulting in a new PAN. Taxpayers should take care to make sure they have proper PAN's when paying taxes on new houses, townhouses, lofts, condo units, and, in some cases, parking spaces.

5. If my taxes are paid from my escrow, do I need to be aware of my PAN?

A. Absolutely. You need your PAN to verify that your mortgage company is making payment on time, in full, and on the right real estate.

6. Do I need my PAN for any other reason?

A. Yes. You need the PAN to request a duplicate tax bill from the Treasurer's Office or to call with any questions you may have about payments, assessments, appeals, exemptions, and tax rates.

top of page

Clark County Treasurer's Office:
Street Address: 1300 Franklin Street, 2nd Floor, Vancouver, WA 98660
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 5000, Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Main phone: (360) 397-2252 | Fax: (360) 397-6042
Telecommunications Relay Service: (800) 833-6388, then call (360) 397-2445
Office Hours: 8-5 except Wednesday 9-5 | Phone Hours: 9-5
Responsible Elected Official: Doug Lasher

Clark County Home | Find It! | A-Z Index | News Releases | Jobs | Contact Us

For questions or comments regarding the Clark County Web site:

© 2008 Clark County Washington | Disclaimer and legal notice | Health Information Privacy Notice