Fort Vancouver was established by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1824 as administrative headquarters and chief supply depot for fur trading operations west of the Rockies. The fort soon became the most important site of European-American commercial and cultural activities in the Pacific Northwest. Within the palisade, numerous buildings housed residential, commercial and administrative functions. Outside the wall, a diverse mix of native and foreign people inhabited Kanaka Village, so called because of the great number of Hawaiians who lived there.
In 1866, the remaining original buildings were destroyed by fire. Fort Vancouver National Historic Site was placed on the National Register in 1966. In 1996, Congress created The Vancouver National Historic Reserve containing 366 acres belonging to the city of Vancouver, the State of Washington, the US Army and the National Park Service. More information about Fort Vancouver is available at www.nps.gov/fova/index.htm.
- Vancouver National Historic Reserve Historic District was placed on the National Register in 2004.
Open to Public:
- The park is open to visitors 360 days each year. The park is closed on January 1, November 25, and December 24, 25, and 31.
- Operating hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. when Daylight Savings Time begins and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. when DST ends.
- The entrance cost is $3.00 per individual and $5.00 per family and is valid for seven days.