Lets Move! Clark County is a community-driven initiative to combat the childhood obesity epidemic. Public Health promotes and expands on existing community efforts to prevent childhood obesity and move toward a healthier, more active Clark County. Some of these efforts include:
- Giving parents and caregivers the tools they need to create a healthy start for their children
- Making healthy food affordable and accessible
- Promoting healthy food in schools
- Increasing physical activity opportunities
The challenge we face
Childhood obesity affects the health of our children and the health of our nation. Today, almost one in three children in the U.S. is overweight or obese.
In the average Clark County classroom, 7 students are overweight or obese and 24 do not meet physical activity recommendations for good health. These trends greatly increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other preventable chronic health problems.
Together, we can
- Promote programs, activities and events that encourage active living in our community
- Help child care and early education program providers incorporate best practices for nutrition, physical activity and screen time into their programs
- Encourage food vendors to display MyPlate in their restaurants
- Empower youth to take charge of their health by sharing ideas and developing awareness. Check out our 2012 youth video contest winner!
For more information, contact the Chronic Disease Prevention team.