The Naturally Beautiful Backyards (NBB) program is part of Clark County Green Neighbors and promotes the creation of healthy and productive ecosystems in residential yards and gardens by providing education on earth-friendly gardening techniques. Using earth-friendly gardening techniques can [NBB] greatly reduce the use of synthetic chemicals, increase beneficial organism activity, enhance habitat and wildlife areas, and contribute to the overall health of the community.
Clark County Solid Waste Program educates county citizens through workshops, lectures, demonstration sites, displays, and written materials about the benefits of reducing chemical use in the yard and garden.
The NBB Program promotes six primary earth-friendly gardening techniques:
- Tolerate minimal damage to plants and lawn from pests.
- Build and maintain healthy soil by using compost and "natural" soil amendments.
- Use chemicals as a last resort. There is usually an alternative!
- Use native plants when possible. They are adapted to the climate, soil and area pests.
- Attract Beneficial Insects to increase pollination and decrease harmful pests.