School construction and remodel projects
The School Health & Safety program reviews new, replacement or existing school remodel construction project plans for all K-12 public, private and parochial schools to ensure minimum environmental health standards are met. The review considers a school’s proposed classroom use and determines appropriate environmental health and safety measures.
Plan review is required for all K-12 public, private and parochial school-based projects such as:
- New or replacement school buildings
- Remodels or additions to existing schools, including but not limited to:
- Adding classrooms or special-use rooms such as gyms, band rooms, art, STEM or other locations students will access
- Re-purposing/relocating existing rooms for STEM, art or other specialty instruction
If this project is for an existing site and/or structure planned for a new school that has not been previously utilized or designed for a school, a site review is required.
If this project includes food service including cafeteria, student store or culinary based food service, and has not been previously approved, a separate plan review is required for food service.
If this project includes new or relocated playground equipment, a separate playground plan review is required.
Environmental health fees
How to submit for review
Prior to submitting for a plan review, please email the School Health and Safety program staff to confirm submission requirements. Note that incomplete packets may be returned. Application and supporting documents can be submitted:
- Electronically: Application and supporting documents can be submitted electronically with prior approval. Email us for more information.
- In person: Application, supporting documents and payment can be submitted in person at the Center for Community Health located on the 3rd floor of building 17 at 1601 E Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver, WA 98666.
- By mail: Application, supporting documents and payment can be submitted by mail at PO Box 9825 Vancouver, WA 98666.
The length of time for a review is dependent on the completeness of the application packet and prompt responses from the applicant(s).
- Washington Administrative Code 246-366: PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- Washington Administrative Code 246-215: Retail Food Service
- Health and Safety Guide for K-12 Schools in Washington
- Washington Department of Health: School Environmental Health