Clark County Washington
Home Find It! A-Z Index Departments & Programs Jobs Contact Us
Auditor > Marriage License

Marriage License

Applying for a Marriage License

Both the potential applicants must be present in our office by 4:30PM to apply for a marriage license. No appointment is necessary.

Hours to apply for a Marriage License:     M, T, Th, F:    8:00-4:30

                                                                    Wednesday:  9:00-4:30

Recording/Marriage License Department
Public Service Center
1300 Franklin Street, 2nd Floor
Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Phone: (360) 397-2208 or (360) 397-2243
Fax: (360) 397-2137

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


  • Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older and must have a current photo ID as proof of your age. 
  • Applicants who are 17 years of age must be accompanied by one parent or legal guardian who can provide consent. 
  • Applicants under the age of 17 must obtain permission from the Family Court.
  • Blood tests and physical exams are not required to obtain a marriage license.
  • Applicants do not have to be residents of the State of Washington to obtain a marriage license.  The license is only valid for weddings that are performed within the state of Washington.
  • Proof of divorce from a previous spouse, or death of a spouse, is not required to obtain a marriage license.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is filed before applying for a new marriage license.

Waiting Period

There is a three (3) day waiting period beginning the day you complete your application and make payment.  Keep this in mind since the waiting period cannot be waived.  You may not get married during this time. The License is valid for 60 days following the three day waiting period.

If you apply on:
The first day you may be married is:


Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. Witnesses should be at

least 12 years of age.

Online application available only Mon-Fri from 6:30 am to 8:30 pm.




$15 of the county's $66 marriage license fee goes to the Department of Community Services and Corrections to fund family services. These services include parenting classes, child development activities, health and educational activities, family support centers, and intervention services.

There is a $66 fee, cash, debit/credit cards (convenience fee applies).  This fee is due in our office at completion

of your application process and is non- refundable.

Performing the Ceremony

State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Supreme Court justices, Court of Appeals judges, Superior

Court judges, Superior Court commissioners, and judges of courts of limited jurisdiction, as well as any regularly licensed or ordained minister or priest of any church or religious denomination.

Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the State of Washington. Neither applicant may perform the ceremony.

To have a District Court judge perform the ceremony, call the District Court (360) 397-2010 during regular business hours.

Attention Officiants:

  • You must be licensed or ordained to perform ceremonies in Washington.
  • You do not have to file or register any documentation with the County.

Marriages are Public Record

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality program. Once a license has been recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded."

Copies of Marriage Certificates

There are several ways to get copies of a marriage certificate.  If you need a certified copy, please note that in your request.

In person: Copies are available at the Recording Department, 1300 Franklin St., second floor, Vancouver.  Hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except Wednesdays when the office opens at 9 a.m.  Payment may be by cash, check, debit/credit card (convenience fee applies).

By mail: Please mail your completed Request for Certified Copy Form (PDF) with payment and self-addressed stamped envelope to Clark County Auditor's Office, Attn: Marriage License Department, PO Box 5000, Vancouver WA 98666-5000.  Payment may be by check or money order.  Please do not send cash.

Online: Copies of marriage certificates recorded may be requested online from Washington State Archives - Digital Archives . Payment may be by debit or credit card and additional fees apply.

Please Note: Online copies of marriage certificates are currently not accepted by the Social Security Administration for name changes.  Other agencies (Driver's License, insurance, etc) will accept online copies though.


  • Certified copies: $3 each


All public documents, including marriage certificates, are available from the Recording Department.

top of page

Clark County Recording and Marriage License Department:
Charlene Huffman, Recording Manager
Street Address: 1300 Franklin Street, 2nd Floor, Vancouver, WA 98660
Mailing Address: Auditor's Office, P.O. Box 5000, Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
Main phone: (360) 397-2208 | FAX: (360) 397-2137
Telecommunications Relay Service: (800) 833-6388, then call (360) 397-2445
Responsible Elected Official: Greg Kimsey

Clark County Home | Find It! | A-Z Index | News Releases | Jobs | Contact Us

For questions or comments regarding the Clark County Web site:

© 2008 Clark County Washington | Disclaimer and legal notice | Health Information Privacy Notice