Access to Records
Court records are kept in the Clerk's Office located on the First Floor of the Clark County Courthouse. For the public's convenience, a computer terminal is available to do routine records checks and to locate and verify cause/case numbers.
Search for Superior Court Cases
To obtain your case number, go to the Odyssey Portal. Using this tool, you can search for a case and case information by case number, a person's name, or a business name. Using this may also allow you to view a case summary, calendar, and a list of documents filed in the case.
Procedures for Requesting Documents
The public may request to review a file between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Court files may be reviewed under the supervision of a Clerk's Office employee. Normally, an individual will be allowed to view only three(3) files per day. A request slip must be completed for each file requested. There are some court files and documents that are confidential in nature hence not available to the public. Some of these files include adoptions.
Documents are available through Liberty on public terminals in our lobby or microfilm. Please check the list of available files
Requests for copies may be made in person or through the mail. Cost of certified copies are $5.00 for the first page and $1.00 for every page thereafter per document. Non-certified copies are 50 cents per page. If the documents being requested are 1996 to present and the request is for non-certified copies, we can copy the documents on to a CD for 25 cents per page plus $20.00 for the cost of the CD and postage. Copies made from archived records dated before 1996 are on microfilm and may include an additional $30 search fee. Use this copy request form.
Request Documents Online
There are two options for requesting documents online:
- Request documents directly through the clerk's office complete and submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request documents using ClerksePass as an additional option to request documents online.
Liberty is the document imaging system used by the Clark County Clerk's Office. All documents filed with the Clerk's Office are scanned into Liberty as part of the court record. The Clerk's Office offers subscriptions to our LibertyWeb system which allows access to images in public files from 1985 forward on a 24/7 basis. One subscription can be shared by as many as five attorneys or offices, but only one person at a time may access document images. For additional information on purchasing a LibertyWeb Seat please contact the County Clerk's Office
Benefits to a LibertyWeb subscription:
- Access through your LibertyWeb seat via the internet to all Clark County electronic records available to the public.
- These records are available 24 hours a day/seven days a week. Although the records can be accessed by anyone in your office that you approve, they are available to only one person at a time.
- Records available include Civil, Domestic, probate, Criminal and Juvenile Offender files.
- Our microfilm conversion project is on going. this will allow you to access records back to 1985.
- Documents filed under a sealed cover sheet can be accessed by contacting the Clerk's Office.
RCW 40.16.010 Injury to Public Records
Every person who shall willfully and unlawfully remove, alter, mutilate, destroy, conceal, or obliterate a record, map, book, paper, document, or other thing filed or deposited in a public office, or with any public officer, by authority of the law, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state correctional facility for not more than five years, or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or both.
Search of Criminal Cases
To obtain your case number, go to Odyssey Portal site to search for a case by name
There is a charge of $5.00 on each specified person for a request to conduct a search that includes a written verification form for Clark County criminal convictions. These searches date back to 1979 to present. Additional costs are assessed for copies and a research fee of $30.00 could be assessed if the request is for searches dated before 1979. Requests are accepted only through the regular mail. Please provide the following in your request:
- Name of person: Last name, First name and Middle name, Date of Birth or any other personal identifiers.
- Provide the approximate date of the offense, and possible criminal charge; if you're looking for a specific criminal filing.
- Include the service fee of $5.00 and a self addressed stamped envelope (see new U.S. Postal Service regulations below) and mail it to:
Clark County Clerk's Office
Attn. Criminal Department
PO Box 5000
Vancouver, WA 98666-5000
If a statewide criminal conviction search is needed, that information can be requested through the Washington State Patrol's Criminal History Web site at https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/watch/ for a fee of $10.00 per person.
*Note: Due to U.S. Postal Service regulations, effective 5-14-07, if the documents will be more than 1/4" thickness, they cannot be put in a small sized envelope but rather need to be in an envelope that will allow the 8 1/2 " x 11" document to be flat and not folded.