File a housing discrimination complaint
There are several ways to file a federal complaint.
Online: You can file a complaint online on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website.
Phone: Call toll-free at 800.877.0246
Mail: Complete the Are you a Victim of Housing Discrimination? complaint form (below) and mail it to:
Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development Room 5204,
451 Seventh Street SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000
Or write a letter to HUD and mail it to:
Seattle Regional Office of FHEO
US Dept of Housing and Urban Development
Seattle Federal Office Building
909 First Avenue, Room 205
Seattle, WA 98104-1000
Be sure to include the following information:
- Your name and address
- Name and address of the person your complaint is about
- Address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent/ buy
- Date when the incident occurred
- A short description of what happened
To file a complaint, call 800.233.3247.
Document the discrimination:
- Note the dates, times, words used, and actions or conduct you believe is discriminatory.
- Keep copies of any relevant letters, answering machine messages, etc.
- Note any witnesses to the action or situation.
In accordance with the Law Against Discrimination, formal complaints must be filed with the Washington State Human Rights Commission within 12 months.