Emissions testing is required:
- Every 2 years before you can renew your registration
- When the vehicle changes ownership and has not had a test in the last 365 days.
- Exception: If the transfer is between parents, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, spouses, legal domestic partners, or present co-owners or to change the legal owner.
- When entering the state and the vehicle is a model year that requires testing for registration purposes
Which vehicles need an emission test?
- In 2017: Model year 1993, 1995, and 1996-2008 even years
- in 2018: Model year 1994 and 1997-2007 odd years
- in 2019: Model year 1995 and 1996-2008 even years
For more information about emission testing, go to the Washington State Vehicle Emission Check Program website.
Vehicles exempt from emission testing:
- Vehicles model year 2009 and newer
- Vehicles model year 1990 and older
- Motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters
- Diesel powered vehicles with a scale weight of 6000 pounds or less
- All 2007 and newer diesel powered vehicles regardless of scale weight
- Hybrid vehicles: Toyota Prius and Honda Insight
- Vehicles registered in ZIP code 98604 north of N.E. 279th Street or in ZIP code 98629 east of N.E. 50th Avenue. In these cases you will need to go a vehicle licensing office to buy your tabs.
- Vehicles garaged and operated outside the emissions testing area but registered to owners who live within it (owners must submit Out-of-Area form)
1121 NE 136th Avenue
Vancouver, WA 98684
Phone: (360) 254-2173
Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.