Freight-Rail Dependent Uses
Clark County is starting work to implement new provisions of the state Growth Management Act, GMA, that allow development along the county-owned Chelatchie Prairie Railroad.
During the 2017 legislative session, lawmakers amended the act (ESB 5517) to permit freight rail-dependent uses on parcels adjacent to the railroad. If adopted by the Clark County Council, such uses would be allowed in rural, agriculture and forest-zoned lands.
The county is implementing the bill in two phases. Phase I has been completed and included amending the county's comprehensive plan to allow freight-rail dependent uses and defining where such uses would be allowed.
Phase II is in process and includes developing a list of potential uses. The Freight Rail Dependent Use Advisory Committee has been charged by the county council to develop this list.
Phase I (completed):
- Amend the Comprehensive Plan’s Land Use, Rural and Resource, and Transportation Element with policies to allow freight rail-dependent uses.
- Define certain areas where such uses would be allowed.
- Other related information
Phase II (2018):
- Develop a list of potential freight rail-dependent uses.
- Potential uses could be similar to those allowed in Railroad Industrial District (IR) and/or the Light Industrial District (IL)
- Freight Rail Dependent Use Advisory Committee recommendations are in development. You can track their work on their meeting information page.
FAQ document with project schedule
Want to provide a comment? Submit a comment through our online comment form.
March 13, 2018 at 10 a.m. - County Council Hearing in 6th floor hearing room - Public Service Center
A proposal to adopt a public participation plan, including a scope of work and formation of an advisory group and charge, to implement development regulations regarding freight rail dependent uses per 3ESB5517.
Feb. 7, 2018 at 10:30 a.m. - County Council Work Session in 6th floor training room - Public Service Center
County Council will hold a work session to begin discussion of Phase II (Development Code) of the implementation of Freight Rail Dependent Uses.
Jose Alvarez, Planner III
564-397-2280 ext. 4898