John Stanger House
Believed to have been constructed in 1867 on the banks of the Columbia River, the John Stanger House is a rare example of Pioneer Plank construction. The house is historically significant for its close association with the earliest period of settlement in Clark County.
The simple two-room gabled structure built of milled cedar planks was the first permanent house of Stanger, who came to the area in 1838 as a millwright for the Hudson’s Bay Company, settled on the property by the 1840s, and received a Donation Land Claim patent for the site in 1865. A frame wing was added to the rear of the house in the late 19th century, and the house remained in the Stanger family until the 1960s.
- Listed on the Clark County Heritage Register in 1983.
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Open to Public:
This property is located in the E. Jane Weber Arboretum, but the structure is not open to the public.