NE 119th Street
Project update - December 2016
Construction is largely complete on this project, although drivers could experience periodic delays as the contractor finishes the final items.
County Road Project
Northeast 119th Street, from west of Northeast 72nd Avenue to east of Northeast 87th Avenue
Rotschy Inc. of Vancouver
- Widen and improve Northeast 119th Street to two travel lanes in each direction plus a continuous center left-turn lane, bicycle lanes and sidewalks.
- Build dual left-turn lanes from Northeast 119th Street westbound onto Northeast 72nd Avenue southbound.
- Construct smaller improvements to Northeast 72nd Avenue and Northeast 87th Avenue.
- Replace the undersized Curtin Creek culvert, about a half mile east of Northeast 72nd Avenue.
- Make environmental improvements to Curtin Creek to create a winding channel that more closely resembles a natural creek.
- Plant trees and other vegetation to shade Curtin Creek, which will cool the water for salmon and other aquatic life.
Construction started in 2014 on a project that will last three construction seasons and wrap up in 2016.
Construction of the current project is expected to cost $19.3 million. This project is being funded in part by $3.54 million in grants from the Federal Highway Administration and $2.25 million from the Washington State Transportation Improvement Board.
More than $3 million in sewer and water upgrades will be built in partnership with Clark Regional Wastewater District and Clark Public Utilities. This infrastructure will encourage additional economic expansion along the corridor.
Northeast 119th Street, Northeast 50th Avenue to Northeast 72nd Avenue (County Road Project 333122) – Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2017 and likely will take two seasons to complete.
Northeast 119th Street, Northeast 87th Avenue to Northeast 112th Avenue (County Road Project 342422) – Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in 2018 and is expected to take two seasons to complete.
In 2009, a private developer improved a section of Northeast 119th Street, from Northeast 112th Avenue to NE 117th Avenue/SR 503. The county constructed Northeast 112th Avenue and a portion of a new traffic signal, which will serve Prairie High School.
In 2013, Clark County upgraded the intersection of Northeast 119th Street and Northeast 50th Avenue (County Road Project 313622). The project widened the intersection and added a traffic signal, sidewalks and left-turn lanes in all four directions. In addition, the hill on Northeast 119th Street east of Northeast 50th Avenue was shaved down to improve sight distance and motorist safety. Retaining walls also were built, along with facilities to collect and treat polluted storm runoff.
Why is the county building these projects?
Improvements to the Northeast 119th Street corridor are required in part due to a Developer's Agreement to improve the intersections at Northeast 117th Avenue/State Route 503 and at Northeast 72nd Avenue. Improvements will support economic development in the area while providing safer, more convenient travel.
Robin Washington, Project Manager
Clark County Public Works
(360) 397-6118 ext. 4572
Bart Arthur, Construction Engineer
Clark County Public Works
(360) 397-6118 ext. 4948