Park Rules and FAQs
Most Clark County parks are open from 7 am to dusk. Hours may vary slightly in a few county parks. Luke Jensen Sports Park, for example, has field lights that allow for use after dusk.
The following activities are prohibited in county parks and undeveloped open spaces, unless otherwise posted or authorized by a county-issued special use reservation or by the parks manager:
- Alcohol consumption
- Fires, aside from those in charcoal barbecue grills and shelter fire pits
- Firearms discharge (except English Pit Shooting Range)
- Fireworks discharge
- Graffiti and other vandalism
- Overnight camping
- Operating an off-road vehicle, aside from on a road or parking lot
- Posting signs or advertising
- Removing dirt, sand, boulders or logs, as well as adding dirt or other material
- Selling concessions or other items without specific authorization
Even though recreational marijuana is legal in Washington, state law (RCW 69.50.445) prohibits its use in public view or public places, which include county parks.
The county also prohibits the use of any form of tobacco while in or within the immediate area of:
- Playgrounds and play areas
- Public restrooms, shelters and gazebos.
- Public events at parks, ball fields or public beaches, such as concerts, and during adult and youth league games and practices.
Dogs are allowed in county parks, but they must be leashed at all times, except as authorized in designated off-leash areas. Owners must clean up after their dogs.
To report off-leash or aggressive dogs in county parks, call Clark County Animal Control at 360.397.2488, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. For animal issues outside of business hours, call 311.
Individual parks may have specific rules. For example, aside from guide dogs and service dogs, no domestic animals are allowed on the beach or surrounding turf area of Vancouver Lake Regional Park between April 1 and Oct. 31.
Signs at county parks often provide useful information regarding site-specific rules.
Need more information?