The county has many different types of preliminary development review, ranging in size from a sign for a commercial building to the master plan for the WSU campus and a two lot short plat to a 300 unit apartment complex. A summary of the reviews and procedures used is shown below.
These handouts provide more information about the land use processes.
|Review||Who receives public notice||General time frame for preliminary review||Decision maker|
|Type I||none||21 days||Staff|
Property owners within 300 feet in urban area
Property owners within 500 feet in rural area
Others who request it
|Type II-A||Same as Type II||
78 days - no hearing
92 days – with hearing
|Staff unless public hearing by hearings examiner is requested|
|Type III||Same as above||92 days||Hearings examiner through public hearing process|
Property owners within 300 feet in urban area (for Annual Reviews)
Property owners within 500 feet in rural area (for Annual Reviews)
Others who request it
|Varies widely||Board of County Commissioners with recommendation from Planning Commission in most cases|
Examples of preliminary reviews
|Type I||Type II||Type II-A||Type III||Type IV|
|Accessory Dwelling Units (such as an apartment in basement of a single family residence)||X|
|Boundary Line Adjustment||X|
|Legal Lot Determination||X|
|Site Plan Review (for commercial/ industrial development)||X||X||X|
|Conditional Use Permit (usually for commercial/ industrial development with unusual characteristics or impacts)||X|
|Annual Reviews (for example changing the comprehensive plan designation from residential to commercial)||X|
Procedure for preliminary, final and building reviews
Stage 1: Pre-Application - Pre-Application Conferences are required for most Type II, III and IV applications
- Permit Technicians provide information and assist applicants with understanding codes and laws.
- Applicant submits pre-application.
- Applicant and planning staff meet at pre-application conference to discuss project.
- Applicant receives pre-application report from staff.
Stage 2: Preliminary Development Approval – Basic process for all review types is similar, main differences include time frames and decision makers
- Applicant submits application.
- Staff reviews application for completeness.
- Surrounding property owners are notified of proposal.
- Staff reviews proposal for compliance with codes.
- Staff writes staff report and decision for Type I and Type II cases.
- Staff writes staff report, public hearing is conducted for Type III proposals, decision made by hearings examiner.
Stage 3: Final Development - Development Engineering in Public Works
- Engineering staff reviews detailed engineering drawings.
- Staff manages the approval of final site plans and final plats.
- Construction of environmental facilities/mitigation installations is inspected.
- Construction of site development such as roads, utilities and stormwater facilities is inspected.
Stage 4: Building
- Plans examiners review building plans for compliance with building safety codes.
- Permit Technicians issue building, plumbing, mechanical and related permits.
- Building construction is inspected and final occupancy is achieved.