Join the email distribution list for updates to stormwater regulations
Email email@example.com with Regulations in the subject line, your contact information in the body of the email.
Low Impact Development in Clark County:
- State of Washington LID Trainings (2015)
- Department of Ecology - LID maintenance and operations - Training Videos (YouTube)
- EPA's webinar series on green infrastructure
Stormwater Code and Manual
Clark County has a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase I Municipal Stormwater permit effective August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2018. The Washington State Department of Ecology issued the permit and is responsible for enforcing the federal Clean Water Act in this state.
Clark County has operated under an NPDES permit since 1999. This permit, among other things, specifies regulations for managing the quantity and quality of stormwater discharged from the county’s stormwater system to our local creeks, streams, rivers and groundwater.
Clark County most recently updated code and manuals in 2015. The update was a two-year effort and included numerous stakeholders. The current Clark County Stormwater Manual 2015 became effective January 8, 2016. The manual has been reviewed and approved by the Department of Ecology and is considered equivalent to the 2014 Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington.
Clark County Code includes regulations for local land use and development, along with best management practices to minimize pollution and harmful effects of stormwater. Specific codes for stormwater include:
- 13.26A Water Quality - sets regulations for how to protect water quality.
- 40.386 Stormwater and Erosion Control - sets regulations for development related to stormwater.
- Title 40 - Numerous code sections reference development practices, including the use of low impact development and requirements to minimize impacts to stormwater, including sections for landscaping, parking and building.
- Summary of code updates - Clark County Code updates took effect on January 8, 2016. Full ordinance of changes is listed below.
Clark County Stormwater Manual 2015
The stormwater manual is a comprehensive document to guide project applicants and developers through every step related to stormwater planning, design, construction, maintenance and operation. The manual is divided into four books for various users and took effect on January 8, 2016. Subsequently, the Clark County Board of County Councilors approved the first errata to the Clark County Stormwater Manual 2015 on November 22, 2016. All files are PDF documents.
NOTE: Applications submitted prior to December 2, 2016, will use the code in place at the time of filing.
CCSM 2015 Errata Updates
Clark County Stormwater Manual 2015 Errata September 2016 (Effective December 2, 2016)
With strikeout/underline notations
- Clark County Stormwater Manual (CCSM) - Introduction
- CCSM Book 1 - Applicability, BMP Selection and Submittals
- CCSM Book 2 - BMP Design
- CCSM Book 3 - Source Control
- CCSM Book 4 - Maintenance and Operations
- Appendix 1-I - Site Plan Short Form
Clark County Stormwater Manual 2015 (effective January 8, 2016)
- Clark County Stormwater Manual - Introduction
- Book 1 - Applicability, BMP Selection and Submittals
- Book 2 - Best Management Practices Design
- Book 3 - Source Control
- Book 4 - Maintenance and Operations
- Appendix 1-I - Site Plan Short Form - This link is for small project developments, such as single-family residential development.
- Appendix 1-J - Abbreviated Construction Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
For required signage on stormwater features, use the applicable template with your local sign fabricator:
- LID stormwater feature signage (PDF)
- Stormwater Facility main sign (PDF)
- Vegetation Preservation signage (PDF)
- Stormwater Medallion disc (PDF)
Western Washington Hydrologic Model
Update (March 2016) - The Washington State Department of Ecology has an update that can be downloaded at: www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/stormwater/wwhmtraining/index.html. You will need to download and install both the WWHM2012 Version 4.2.12 and Map Data for this update.
Description of the changes: Version 4.2.12 addresses issues related to generating project reports in the PDF format, the wetland fluctuation report, the water balance report and the water quality report. This also addresses an issue related to the auto-size feature for the 3 orifice design. These issues are considered a programming bug. According to the version numbering system in use as of October 21, 2015, the digits after the last decimal point are changed for this WWHM update." More information and instructions can be found on the Ecology web page. Contact them directly with questions or comments.
- Clark County WWHM Soils Groupings - 2010 Soils Report
- Washington State Department of Transportation - 2016 Highway Runoff Manual
- Washington State Hydrologic Model - WWHM2012 version
- Clark County Public Works Standard Details - Reference Manual
- Rain Garden Handbook for Western Washington - Reference document
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Low Impact Development "Barrier Busters" fact sheets
Waste Storage Area Design - Recommendations from Waste Connections flier
Clark County Stormwater Manual implementation policies/procedures:
- Procedure #1 - BMP feature standard sign placement
- Procedure #2 - Emerging BMP technologies
- Procedure #3 - Full Dispersion to Critical Areas Feasibility Clarification
- Procedure #4 - Easements for Dispersion
- Procedure #5 - Dispersion of stormwater to preserved native vegetation
- Procedure #6 - Emerging Technology - Compost Amended Biofiltration Swale
- Procedure #7 - Roof downspout drywell design
- Procedure #8 - BMP T5.30A clarification
- Procedure #9 - Emerging Technology - Bayfilter stormwater system
- Procedure #10 - Soil Depth and Quality
- Procedure #11 - Phosphsorb BMP
- Procedure #12 - County-owned facility maintenance
Visit our Low Impact Development web page for information about trainings related to stormwater planning, design, maintenance and operations. More >>
- Adopting ordinance 2015-11-24 (adopted code and manual updates for 2016) Underline/strikeout changes (code 40.385 changes start on page 50).
- Summary of code changes effective January 7, 2016
- Clark County Stormwater Manual (November 2009) (repealed 1-7-16)
- Appendix A 2009
- Appendix B 2009
- Appendix C 2009
- Appendix D 2009
- Clark County Municipal Code 40.385 (repealed 1-7-16) Stormwater and Erosion Control