Food Service Establishment
Whether you are planning to open a new or existing full service restaurant or a coffee kiosk, a plan review application must be submitted to ensure the facility meets Washington State Retail Food Code. Types of establishments that fall into this category include but are not limited to:
- Grocery stores
- Delis, meat and fish markets, bakery (retail service only)
- Beverage-only facilities such as wine tasting, tap rooms and coffee kiosks
- Travelers accommodations with food service (Hotel, motel, bed&breakfast, Air B&B etc)
- Public kitchens (to rent out to other permitted operators such as caterers, mobile units, etc)
- Seasonal food service (such as Little League concession stands)
- Caterers (Food service that involves preparation in an approved kitchen for final cooking or service at another location during a private event)
*School food service, mobile units, temporary and annual event permits have their own plan review applications and are not covered in this section.
NEW!! Apply and pay Online!
Before getting started with the online application, there are a few things to do to prepare. Consider the links below a complete packet and start at the top and read each description and then click the link, the last link is to register for an online profile to apply and pay for an online application. You can also use the last link to log back into your profile to check on the status or your submission, pay for any additional fees or submit a new application. To ensure you receive automated emails from our online system, please add this address to your approved/safe list in your email account used to create your online profile: firstname.lastname@example.org You should also check your spam and junk folder for these automated emails. Once you start the application, do not use the browser navigation buttons but instead, use the buttons at the bottom of the application pages to move forward or backward.
- Adobe Reader: Install or update your version of Adobe Reader, a safe and free PDF program used to view and fill out digital worksheets.
- Online profile general help (download and save): A visual reference for registering for an online profile, starting an application and making payments
- Online application reference (download and save): A summary of the information and documents you will need to apply online
- Plan review requirements (download and save): Detailed description of the health department requirements and standards for application materials.
- Fees and definitions (download and save): Review the fees, a payment will be required to complete the online application
- Start an online Application: Register for a profile and submit an application
Related documents and resources
- Food worker card and PIC information
- Fees and food service definitions
- Washington State Retail Food Code
To apply in person or by mail: