Harm Reduction Syringe Services Program
What is the harm reduction syringe services program?
Clark County Public Health’s program uses a range of services to expand the knowledge, skills, and resources that support individuals, families and communities to be safer and healthier.
Location and hours of operation:
Clark County Syringe Exchange
3701 E Fourth Plain Blvd., Vancouver, WA 98661
Map and directions
C-Tran Vine Schedules
Phone - 360.750.8610 (during exchange) or 564.397.8086 (for info)
Hours - Monday and Wednesday - 3 to 6 pm
Friday - 2 to 5 pm
What is harm reduction?
Harm reduction is a series of interventions designed to be practical, effective, safe and cost effective in minimizing negative health, social and legal impacts associated with drug use, drug policies and drug laws.
Harm reduction is grounded in justice and human rights; it focuses on positive change and on working with people without judgment, coercion, and discrimination by meeting them where they are in their lives.
What are the benefits of harm reduction related to substance use?
Harm reduction has many benefits for people who use substances, their families, and communities. Research shows harm reduction activities can:
- Reduce the transmission of blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases, including HIV and Hepatitis C.
- Reduce overdose deaths and other early deaths among people who use substances.
- Reduce injection substance use in public places, and reduce the number of used needles in public.
- Reduce the sharing of syringes and other substance-use equipment.
- Reduce crime and increase employment among people who use substances.
- Educate about safe substance use practices and reduce the frequency of use.
- Educate about safer sex and sexual health and increase condom use.
- Support clients by providing linkage to community resources.
- Increased success in recovery.
What services are offered?
- Anonymous one-to-one syringe exchange and safe syringe disposal
- Overdose prevention education and naloxone kit distribution
- Hepatitis C testing - confidential (finger stick, rapid test, results in 20 minutes)
- HIV testing - confidential (finger stick, rapid test, results in less than 5 minutes)
- Safer-sex supplies
- Resources and referrals to community agencies (medication-assisted recovery/treatment (MAR/T), PrEP (HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis), insurance navigation
- Contact Sandi Kendrick at 564.397.8086 or email
Harm reduction resources:
- Harm Reduction Coalition
- Washington State Syringe Services Program Directory
- World Hepatitis Alliance
- Avert Global information on HIV and AIDS